Thursday, July 19, 2012

I think I might go to Hawaii... tomorrow

Well, I'm all for last minute travel, but this was by far my most unexpected trip. I toyed with the idea of going to Hawaii earlier in the summer to take part in the North Shore swim series, but finding time off from work and settling on just one of the races seemed to be my biggest hurdle. Not wanting to miss out, I submitted my race entrance fee with a tbd race date and put trip planning on the back burner. Then, a week before one of the races, I feel ill and ruptured both ear drums. An excruciating experience I wish no one to go through. I all but sided my plans to go until my bored, bed ridden, self was browsing tripadvisor and kayak.com. The last minute deals on flights were too good to pass up, and an airbnb place opened up for another screaming deal. I booked them despite feeling too weak to walk, no less swim a few miles in the open water with ripped open ear drums. Maybe it was the thought of warm sand and clear blue waters, but miraculously the horrible ear pain and illness left just in time for me to board my flight. Ears were fine on the flight and I spent the next two days regaining my strength swimming along the shores of the North Shore of Oahu. Not a bad recovery room!

No comments:

Post a Comment